Palliative Care Services
In Western Australia, the Palliative Care Network Advisory Committee oversees a range of initiatives aimed at developing an integrated statewide model of palliative care.
In 2009 a Palliative Services Project Fund of $14 million over four years was established to fund the development and establishment of the following palliative care initiatives and programs.
Rural Palliative Care
The palliative care rural model has provided a framework for establishing coordinated palliative care services across seven WA Country Health Service regions.
Kimberley Palliative Care Service
Broome Hospital, Robinson Street, Broome WA 6725
Ph: 9194 2325 Fax: 9194 2282 Mob: 0434 181 044
Pilbara Palliative Care Service
2nd floor State Government Building, Cnr Brand & Tonkin Streets, South Hedland 6722
Ph: 9174 1636 Mob: 0457 537 227
Goldfields Palliative Care Service
Kalgoorlie Health Campus, Piccadilly Street, Kalgoorlie WA 6430
Ph: 9080 5290 Fax: 9080 5808 Mob: 0429 233 403
Wheatbelt Palliative Care Service
Northam Regional Hospital, Robinson Street, Northam WA 6401
Ph: 9690 1780 Fax: 9690 1601 Mob: 0408 399 016
Midwest Palliative Care Service
285 Population Health – Palliative Care, Level 1, 51-85 Shenton Street, Geraldton WA 6530
Ph: 9956 2431 Fax: 9956 8747 Mob: 0407 949 040
South West Palliative Care Service
8A Spencer Street, Bunbury 6230
Ph: 9781 4060 Fax: 9781 4057 Mob: 0429 204 836
Great Southern Palliative Care Service
Albany Regional Hospital, Hardie Road, Albany WA 6330
Ph: 9892 2380 Fax: 9892 2580 Preferred contact number: 0429 379 145
WA Cancer & Palliative Care Network
Ph: 9222 4091
Metropolitan Area Health Services Palliative Care Teams
WA Health has established two mobile specialist palliative care consultancy teams to provide expert palliative care advice and education for health professionals and facility staff caring for patients within residential aged, mental health and disability care facilities, general hospitals and prisons acorss Perth’s metropolitan areas. The project aims to build links between the tertiary, secondary and primary health services and provide palliative care advice, education and leadership in places where access to specialist palliative care has been more difficult to obtain.
The South Metropolitan Area Palliative Consultancy (SMAPC) team can be contacted by fax (08) 9391 1043 or by phone (08) 9391 1096.
The Palliative Ambulatory Service North (PASN) (external site) can be contacted by fax (08) 9340 6348 or by phone (08) 9340 6390.
Paediatrics Palliative Care Program
This program operates as a state-wide service within the auspices of Princess Margaret Hospital. The Palliative Services Project Fund has enabled this service to establish a paediatric palliative care team that provides the expertise and coordination to meet the needs of children and their families with non-malignant diseases. The team works collaboratively within Princess Margaret Hospital and with multiple agencies to ensure that each child has the choice to spend much of their time at home.
Talking About the End of Life
The Talking About the End of Life is a training and mentoring program for Residential Aged Care Facility (RACF) staff, that is funded under the COAG National Partnership Agreement for Sub-Acute Care. Each participating RACF commits to form a Palliative Care Link Team from a mix of facility staff, which is then taught to identify patients with palliative care needs and the concepts of care conferencing and advance care planning.Talking About End of Life Program Resources
Palliative Care Models of Care
- Paediatric and Adolescent Palliative Care (PDF)
- Palliative Care (PDF)
- Rural Palliative Care (PDF)
- Perinatal palliative care (PDF 1.55MB) | (MS Word 902KB)
Other Palliative Care Resources for Health Providers
- Palliative Care in Western Australia Final Report Dec 2005 (PDF 834KB)
- Evidence Based Clinical Guidelines for Adults in the Terminal Phase (2nd Ed.) (PDF 1MB)
- Essential Palliative Care Medication Lists for Community Pharmacists and General Practitioners (PDF 520KB)
- Opioid Conversion Chart (PDF 37KB)
- How to use the Opioid Conversion Chart (PDF 229KB)
- Talking About End of Life Brochure (PDF 270KB)
- Talking About End of Life Poster (PDF 285KB)
- Silver Chain Metropolitan Nurse Consultancy Service (external site)
- Other Palliative Care Resources (PDF 280KB)
- Caresearch (external site)
- Palliative Care Australia (external site)
- Palliative Care Western Australia (external site)
- Paediatric and Adolescent Palliative Care (PDF 465KB)
- When a parent or close relative is dying - toddlers
- Talking to children when someone is dying
- Saying Goodbye to Someone Special - 5-11 years
- Saying Goodbye to Mum - 5-11 years
- Saying Goodbye to Dad - 5-11 years
- Saying Goodbye to Someone Special - A Guide for Teenagers
- Saying Goodbye To Mum - A Guide for Teenagers
- Saying Goodbye To Dad - A Guide for Teenagers
- Understanding the dying process
- Understanding the dying process - Italian
Resources relevant to babies and children
- SIDS and Kids – not-for-profit organisation dedicated to the elimination of sudden and unexpected infant deaths, supporting bereaved families and funding research into stillbirth.
- Sands - miscarriage, stillbirth and neonatal death charity supporting anyone affected by the death of a baby; working to improve the care bereaved parents receive by healthcare professionals and breaking the silence and taboo of baby death in today's society.